Everyone has a personal style. I happen to like photos that are bright, vibrant and colorful. Admittedly I brighten photos more than I normally would … because brighter photos tends to do better in Instagram. If this photo were to be printed I’d tone down the highlights and decrease the exposure. That said – I wanted to show what my process is for editing. I’ve now gotten it down to 10 to 15 minutes per photo:
- Import photos into Lightroom, delete photos I don’t like.
- From lightroom, edit in Photoshop and
- Duplicate photo/layer
- Filter –> Camera Raw Filter to brighten photo, decrease highlights. In this photo example I also went back to decrease the exposure of the sky and increase contrast.
- Bring photo back into Photoshop and duplicate layer. I then added a Filter / Gaussian Blur and blended with Soft light at level 4.5 ish. Adjusted Opacity to where I liked it around 50%
- Added another duplicate layer and then Filter / Hard Pass at 2.5 ish. Steps 3 and 4 are from Peter McKinnon you can find his tutorials on YouTube.
- I added a curves layer and used the Auto adjust feature. And then adjusted opacity down to approx 50%
- Last steps is adding a Color Look up layer and adding the 3DLut file (used a standard one “3Strip Look” and blended with Luminosity. I set Opacity down to 50%.
- Flatten the image. Saved it back to Light Room.
- In Lightroom I brushed down some areas that were too hot using the Highlight brush.
- Added in 100+ hashtags in the Metadata and saved with the account name and descriptive title. In this case MaggieLovesOrbit at Del Mar Dog Beach during Low Tide.
I’m sharing the before image below so you can see the way it looked straight out of camera. Maybe one day I’ll be better at editing in the phone apps but for now I love editing in Photoshop and Lightroom.
If you found this article useful you might also want to read:
- 20 different ways to engage in Instagram without using Comment Pods
- Why comment pods can be hurting you
- Shadowban freakout
- 12 Famous Celebrities and their Instagram Dogs and Cats
- 9 Instagram Dogs with over 1 million followers
- 6 Instagram Dogs with followers over 500,000 and under 1 million followers
- My secret tool to increase engagement on Instagram
- How to add Multiple Links to my Instagram Bio
- How to make my dog famous on Instagram